The Ketogenic diet is much similar to the Atkins diet with a similar aim to cut down the carbs
consumed. Normally the internal body system uses up the carbohydrates consumed in to provide energy for all vital processes. This diet uses the principle of ‘Fat burns Fat’ where a person should consume fatty meals instead of carbs, this makes the body rely on fats for energy instead of carbohydrates and therefore burns up the stored fat in body to gain energy from it, shedding more calories and reducing the overall body weight with it. This process of burning stored fat for energy is known as ketosis.
What is the Ketogenic Diet?
A low-carb and high-fat content diet done for weight loss under certain health conditions. It is
most useful for people having excess fatty layers inside the body and trying to reverse insulin
resistance and prevent high blood sugar levels due to the low intake of carbs.
How does it work ?
Focusing on protein and fats and minimal carbs intake, it makes the body shift on using fats for
energy rather than carbs. Low carb intakes make the body run out of power for normal body
processes, it then naturally shifts to other sources for energy, that comes from the high fat intake. Breaking down this nutrient for energy helps losing weight. The process of ketosis comes here where the fat in the body is burned by the fat we consume. That’s why the ketogenic diet focuses on fat intake.
How effective is it ?
Our body weight and mass is more due to the fat that resides in the muscle layer and around our organs. A high fatty layer around certain organs like heart, arteries and liver can lead to serious health problems. The main reason for weight loss is to remove that blubber layer and extra mass under skin. A diet focusing on the breakdown of fats for energy rather than carbs burns off this extra unnecessary fat leading to many problems. Moreover the conversion of fat to energy requires much more calories thereby burning more calories for the same natural body processes that eases weight loss.
- Higher weight loss,
- Raises good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol preventing blocked arteries, high blood pressure and heart problems.
- Lesser use of insulin as it’s not much needed now to break the stored carbs to energy, makes the body make the hormone less.
- Lower insulin levels prevents some kinds of cancer and slows growth of cancer cells
- Carbohydrates and insulin drops prevent acne breakouts, keeping skin clear.
- Reduces insulin resistance in the body and helps cure pcos symptoms in females.
- Low carb diet helps regulate blood sugar levels but the keto diet releases ketones on fat burn out that can make a diabetic person sick.
- The diet is helpful in preventing strokes and other brain problems that can cause epilepsy.
- A protein and fat rich diet helps in working out, increasing the muscle to fat ratio it increases the amount of oxygen which the body needs during exercise.
A diet shifting the normal mechanism of the body to fat burn out instead of carbohydrates is not acceptable under many conditions. Moving to the normal diet after this can be troublesome as the body is now not taking up carbs for energy and excess of them in diet can lead to high sugar and heart related problems.
Some people may encounter basic problems usually associated with diet shifts and nutrient
deficiency like constipation and low blood sugar levels.
Ketones in the bloodstream may create tiredness, irritability, headaches and weakness. Low carb levels can affect kidneys making kidney stones and raise acidic levels.
Ketogenic Diet posses a strict diet plan and can only be adopted if a person is not facing any
health issues like:
- Heart problems,
- Kidney problems,
- Pregnancy or lactation,
- Pancreatic or liver problems,
- Gallbladder removal
- Other problems that strictly obstruct the intake of fats or deficiency of carbohydrates.
The diet plan restricts use of vital nutrients and is not beneficial for long term usage as certain
staple foods in the diet like bread and rice cannot be left for lifetime